Dry Ice Safety and Handling Tips

When handled properly, Dry Ice is safe and easy to use. Please follow these guidelines for handling and disposal of Dry Ice.

– AVOID CONTACT WITH SKIN AND EYES! Dry Ice is extremely cold, -78°C and can cause severe frostbite within seconds of direct contact. (Frostbite is a freezing injury resembling a burn.)

– NEVER HANDLE DRY ICE WITH YOUR BARE HANDS. Always wear insulated gloves. Safety glasses, long-sleeved shirt, long pants and shoes are also recommended. Use tongs to handle blocks of Dry Ice.

– DO NOT PUT DRY ICE IN YOUR MOUTH OR OTHERWISE INGEST IT. If Dry Ice is accidentally ingested, it can cause severe internal injury. Never put Dry Ice in beverages to cool them but only to create special effect.

– KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. Only adults should handle Dry Ice.

– OBTAIN DRY ICE IN THE FORM AND SIZE IN WHICH IT WILL BE USED. Never saw a block of Dry Ice; never use a hammer to break a block of Dry Ice into smaller pieces.

– TRANSPORT DRY ICE IN YOUR VEHICLE TRUNK OR TRUCK BED. DRY ICE MUST NEVER BE STORED IN THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT OF THE VEHICLE WITHOUT PROPER VENTILATION. Leave windows open for fresh air circulation. Never leave Dry Ice in a parked passenger vehicle. Sublimation of Dry Ice in a closed passenger vehicle can result in the accumulation of dangerous concentrations of asphyxiating carbon dioxide vapor. Dry Ice can be safely transported without special ventilation in the closed cargo area of a truck if all occupants are restricted to the cab. When opening a closed cargo area containing Dry Ice, allow the closed space to ventilate for 5 minutes before entering.

– NEVER STORE DRY ICE IN GLASS OR OTHER SEALED (AIRTIGHT) CONTAINERS OR COOLERS. Storage in a sealed container can result in a rupture or explosion of the container from over-pressurization.

– DO NOT USE DRY ICE IN CONFINED AREAS. Dry Ice releases heavy carbon dioxide vapor that can cause rapid suffocation.

– DO NOT PLACE DRY ICE ON A TILE OR LAMINATED COUNTER TOP. Instead, use a solid surface – a wood cutting board or piece of plywood is best. Dry Ice is sometimes used in tile removal and may destroy the bonding agent holding the tile or laminated material in place.

– DO NOT PLACE DRY ICE IN DIRECT CONTACT WITH PERISHABLE FOODS OR BOTTLED/CANNED BEVERAGES. Produce may sustain severe freezer burns and bottle/canned beverages may split or explode.

*CAUTION: LEAVE the room quickly if you have trouble breathing around Dry Ice.

DISPOSAL OF DRY ICE
To dispose of Dry Ice after storage, leave it outside or in a bucket of water in a well-ventilated area – either place will cause it to quickly turn back into carbon dioxide gas and it will be soon gone.